Friday, December 11, 2009

Johannesburg Transitions

The opening of this exhibition on 3/12/2009 was a clearly choreographed affair just like all the events that take place at G.I. Although, I missed the speeches since I had arrived late due to some unavoidable circumstances. I try not to miss such events.
Johannesburg transition’s is a photo exhibition by a South African photographer Andrew Tshabangu. What is interesting about his work is that it is an exhibition of black and white photos. These photos are what I would call ordinary photos of South African’s captured in the streets of Johannesburg.
Some of my best pieces from this exhibition are photos that capture scenes of South Africa back in 1994. This show African’s selling apples outside a mall.
If you have listened to Yvonne Chaka Chaka’s Umqombothi then you will not fail to see a photo by the same title. It shows an old lady preparing some Umqombothi.
I got a chance to speak to Andrew and he I got first hand explanation background on some of his photos and why he produces black and white photos. I was happy to learn that the local liquor of S.A. equivalent of Chang’aa here is called Umqombothi! I could help asking him about pictures of Churches in his exhibition and he did allude that this is the project he is currently working on. Also in carrying out this project he is also trying to working on his religion.
This time around the background song, if you call an African woman, felt at home with a South African exhibiting at Goethe.
You can catch this exhibition at the Goethe-Institut Auditorium which is open until December 18th and then again between January 4th and 8th.
Monday to Saturday, 1.00pm – 6.00pm.

No comments: